A tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth. There are many reasons why a tooth would need to be removed. They include:
• Extreme damage or decay to the point where they can’t be repaired anymore.
• Preventing teeth from coming in.
• Forced removal of a baby tooth so the adult tooth can come in.
• Sometimes for braces to work properly, teeth need to be removed to allow the other teeth to move properly into place.
• People receiving radiation to the head and neck may need to have teeth in the field of radiation extracted.
• People receiving cancer drugs may develop infected teeth because these drugs weaken the immune system. Infected teeth may need to be extracted.
Wisdom teeth, also called third molars, are one of the most common teeth that are extracted. They are often extracted either before or after they come in. Often, wisdom teeth get stuck in the jaw and don’t come in. That is the most common scenario that ultimately leads to their removal. If they are not removed quickly, they can cause your gums to get irritated, leading to pain and swelling.
Need a tooth or teeth extracted? If so, contact our experienced dental team at Fine Arts Dentistry for more information or to schedule an appointment today.